One passion, many ways to get involved
Vocal coaching and Artist development
Jennifer is a vocal coach who, in addition to teaching technically, specialises in artist development. She works with emerging and established individual singers, bands and choirs in bespoke ways to suit their specific requirements and really gets to the core of who they are and why they do what they do.
It can take the form of individual and group coaching, singing workshops or masterclasses.
- Physical and vocal warm-up techniques
- Breath support and control
- Diction exercises
- Relaxation techniques
- Vocal flexibility exercises
- The psychology of singing and performance
- Harmony singing
- Choir development and leadership
- Song interpretation and dynamics
- Vocal maintainance
- Finding your authentic voice
- Practice plan
- Vocal health
Jennifer works mainly within the commercial and independent music industries with singers and songwriters who are preparing to perform, record and go on tour.
“Jennifer is very natural and lets you find your own voice because ultimately you are your own voice. I don’t think I had any confidence and then it turned up in abundance. Jennifer cares. You can’t ask for much more than that but she gives so much more”
Dave McCabe, The Zutons
Sense of Sound Singers
Session fixers, Choir, Weddings
Sense of Sound Singers is a creative company of professional singers who perform, provide backing vocals and recordings in their own right and collaboratively with other artists and producers. Their music style is eclectic and includes soul, gospel, jazz, classical, RnB, pop and experimental.
The a capella choir offers bespoke packages for weddings, as well as corporate entertainment.
- Backing vocalists, Back up singers, Session fixers
- A cappella vocal group/choir, singing ensemble
- Creative collaborations
- Corporate events
In their extensive career they have collaborated with a wide range of artists including Damon Albarn (Blur, Gorillaz, The Good, The Bad and the Queen), Paloma Faith, Take That, Yoko Ono, Brian Eno, Paco Peña and Seal.
Would like to sing some praise and say how thankful we are for the Sense Of Sound Singers and their sensational work on our debut record 'Sandman' ❤️ It was only a pipe dream to bring a choir onboard for the album, and not only that! We were after a special sorta sounding choir. Just like the choirs on the soundtracks of the Disney Golden Age, late 1930’s/early 1940’s; on films like Snow White, Dumbo, Bambi and Pinocchio. We wanted it to sound hauntingly melancholic, mature, graceful and sickly sweet. To mix a beautiful choir with our ramshackle Rock & Roll. Leader of the choir Jennifer John ran with it, these songs are close to our hearts and we knew we could trust her. Jennifer brought together a fantastic group of singers that also truly understood what we wanted. They gave us the opportunity to work with a choir and made it affordable and real. Would like to give a special thanks here for the choir themselves; all so lovely to work with, down to earth and professional people. They did an amazing job and surpassed everything we had hoped for. Feel very lucky to know them and can’t wait to work with them on many more projects to come.
Trudy and the Romance
Singer, Songwriter and Vocal Arranger
Jennifer is currently the lead singer with the band Killerfernandez. They are currently producing their 2nd studio album. A strong top line melody writer, she also collaborates with other composers, musicians and producers to create new music for performances and record releases.
Jennifer creates vocal arrangements for choirs, vocal groups and ensembles. Her musical styles include pop, soul, gospel, classical and jazz. She also works with producers and bands to create backing vocals for live performances and studio sessions within the commercial pop and dance music industries.
- Vocal arranger
- Top line writer
- Choirs & Vocal Groups
- Backing vocals
- A commission with Immix Ensemble and guitarist Stuart McCallum in partnership with Liverpool Biennial in which she created a 40 minute song collection entitled Bold By Name, Bold By Nature. The work, a live performance, was premiered in the Civic Courtroom of St. George’s Hall in June 2018.
- Vocal arranger for Blossoms single, There’s a Reason Why for Spotify release.
- In house vocal arranger for Duotone Records and featured vocalist on upcoming record release for the house music track, Follow Me.
“It was a real pleasure working with Jennifer and Sense of Sound Singers. They are amazing!”
Curator and Thought leader
Jennifer has always been passionate about large scale singing projects and events being a way of bringing people together in a spirit of positivity, social cohesion and equality. The recruitment of community groups from a wide range of backgrounds and experiences, including those who have been marginalised from mainstream society, has always been at the heart of her creative projects. Diversity and inclusion are key to the presentation of that ethos.
- Artistic direction
- Project management
- Community groups and projects
- Choir projects
- Singing workshops around musical theatre, gospel, improvisation, intention through song
- I am the curator of Liverpool Voices Festival, a day of singing master classes that began in May 2018. The festival was started as a way of encouraging a community of singing that had affordable access to a diverse range of musical styles that were delivered by industry professionals. The 2nd day of this annual event took place in May 2019 and included master classes led by Wayne Ellington, Juliet Russell and Matt Baker.
- 100 Women’s Voices was the creation of 100 strong female choir singing songs of peace and protest in celebration of 100 years since some women won the right to vote. The public performance took place in November 2018 in the small concert hall of Liverpool’s St George’s Hall. The project, in partnership with Blackburne House, was aimed at women and girls who had been disempowered and the purpose was to promote health and wellbeing and provide a platform on which women’s voices could be heard and celebrated.
Liverpool Pride is a weekend-long festival in celebration of LGBT culture held annually at the Pier Head and Gay Quarter in Liverpool city centre. In 2016 and 2017 Jennifer was invited to be the project manager for the family choir days around the themes We Are Family (2016) and The World on One Stage (2017). The event saw the recruitment of selected community choirs from across Merseyside who performed individually. They then became part of the massed choir when all of the singers joined together in what became a 150 strong ensemble.
Member of the Liverpool City Region Music Board.
“I have known Jennifer for over twenty years and see her passion and determination for including people from every background to gain confidence with improved wellbeing through music, so it was our privilege to work in partnership with her and her team for the 100 Women Voices event at St George's Hall. It was our final celebration event to mark the centenary year of some women gaining the right to vote. This event was truly a breathtaking and inspirational event with 100 women performing together in a choir lead by Jennifer as well as many talented singers and poets. We will without hesitation continue our partnership work with Jennifer as JJM shares our values and vision in supporting women in the creative arts.”
Claire Dove OBE DL, CEO of Blackburne House
Jennifer made an immediate positive impact in her role at the RNCM and has added value to the team and to the student learning experience. Through her industry contacts, our popular music choir were invited to perform with Blossoms at the BBC Music Day - an experience they valued highly and one which the RNCM's national profile benefited from greatly. She has successfully tutored Principal Study vocalists and has provided insightful industry guidance to her cohort of final year students in their Professional Engagement. She has provided a first class service
Andy Stott MA BA PGCE SFHEA, Head of Popular Music, Royal Northern College of Music